Sunday, May 4, 2014

Vintage Buffet Before & After




Happy Sunday!

It's been a very busy week here rehabbing furniture for clients.  I have to say I am becoming quite addicted.  Here is another buffet that I just finished I wanted to share with you!

This piece was originally a dark mahogany in color.  I usually love keeping the top a wood finish, however this particular buffet had a lot of veneer damage so I decided to paint the top with my favorite Annie Sloan "French Linen" color.  


I wanted this piece to be more distressed than usual.

I first needed to fix the top.  This time I chose to use Auto Body filler instead of wood filler.  If you are going to paint a piece, the Auto Body putting is stronger and will not chip out like the wood putty does.

Here is a before shot.



As you can see below, there was quite a bit of veneer damage that needed to be fixed.


A little bit of filling in with Auto Body Putty, than once dry sanding a bit with my palm sander and I was ready to start painting!



My Technique:

Base Coat French Linen 
Entire piece inside and out

Second Coat (1 Part Old White/1 Part Pure White)
Using short brush strokes.

Third Coat - Cocoa Wash Over Entire Outside Piece.

Fourth Coat - Lightly Dry Brush Over Outside Piece With 1 Part Old White/1 Part Pure White)


Top of Buffet:

After you have painted the entire piece with the above technique, repaint the top only with French Linen.

Wet Distress Edges Using A Wet Sponge With A Scrubber On One Side.



I prefer to distress using the "Wet" method instead of using sand paper.  You can see more of the colors using the wet sponge, by just rubbing the wet sponge until the next color starts to show through,  instead of using sand paper where you go directly to the wood.

This seems like a lot of steps, but once I figured out the look I wanted, my next piece went pretty fast.



For the hardware, I chose Rust-Oleum Hammered Chestnut.  I love using this color for most of my pieces.














Until the next project!  Have a great week!


No comments:

Post a Comment