Tuesday, July 9, 2013

DIY Driftwood Centerpiece


This is another great decorating idea ~ with Beach Cottage inspiration in mind ~ using driftwood and so inexpensive!

Can you believe the piece of driftwood below is the piece above?

With just a simple 2" Hole Saw Bit, or a 1 1/2" paddle bit, a drill and a little elbow grease, you can make a wonderful centerpiece in under 30 minutes!


Collect a piece of driftwood that will sit flat on your surface.  This is a bit tricky, but there are plenty of unique pieces out there if you just take some time to stroll along the shore line!

The piece above was taken off a river bank!

When you get the driftwood home, rinse it off with a hose, then allow to dry.  Make sure they are no bugs in the woods!

I used a 2" Hole Saw Bit and had my dad help me because the driftwood kept moving when I started drilling.  I only drilled about 1/4" down, just enough to allow the tea-lite glass to sit inside the hole.

If you want to use just regular "metal" tea-lites, you can use a 1 1/2" paddle bit, that is much easier to use, but you need to make sure that you keep an eye on the tea-lites while burning!

Once the holes were drilled, I sprayed the entire piece with some clear satin sealer and that's it!




This piece turned out absolutely beautiful and I have made about 5 more I will share with you soon!






1 comment: